Ebooks are digital versions of books which can be downloaded from the library's Overdrive website directly onto a mobile device (Kindle, Nook, smartphone, tablet, etc) or read directly on your PC.
You do not need to actually be in the library to get eBooks or downloadable Audiobooks, you only need to visit our Overdrive eBook site at:
You can also see downloads for the Overdrive App and get help for a wide variety of questions and devices by using the Overdrive Help located at help.overdrive.com.
You Will Need:
1. A valid IRC Library card.
2. A PC, Mac or compatible device to read the eBook (Kindle, Nook, tablet, smartphone, etc).
3. An account with either Amazon.com or Overdrive depending on your device (more on this below).
You will be able to check out 3 eBooks or Audiobooks at a time and can return those books at any time to check out more.
What Kind of Device Do You Have?
• Amazon Kindle: You will need an account with Amazon.com and should checkout the Kindle format for your eBooks. People who own Kindles should have already registered them on Amazon.com so please make sure you use the same account when attempting to download or manage your eBooks.
• Tablet, Smartphone or PC: Search your devices App marketplace for the Overdrive App or click here for PC. Once you download the app on your device it will lead you through the process of creating an Overdrive account. Once that is complete you can use that app to borrow, read, listen to, or return your items.
• Other older e-readers: You will need an account with Adobe.com and need to download and install the Adobe Digital Editions software. This software will allow you to open eBooks that you download from the library's site and then transfer them onto your device (or read them on your PC). You will checkout eBooks using the Adobe ePUB format.
Please note: You may NOT go through the process using Adobe Digital Editions on the library’s public PCs. The software requires a persistent link to your personal account.
To Get Started Browsing:
*If using a tablet or smartphone use the Overdrive app to browse and download your books.*
1. You can browse our collection of eBooks by going to http://irclibrary.overdrive.com.
2. Find your book then choose your format and add to cart. Kindle format for Kindles, Adobe EPUB for all others.
3. Enter your library card # and password when prompted. The default password is the last 4 digits of your phone number.
4. Choose your lending period of 7 or 14 days for the items in your cart. You may have 3 eBooks checked out at one time.
5. You can then “proceed to checkout” in order to get your book. The next step will be different depending on which format you chose.
People using Kindles will go to Amazon.com (click on "Manage your Kindle" after you sign in) to choose which books are downloaded to their Kindle or to return their books. Click here for more help with using Kindles.
People using other devices will use Adobe Digital Editions to read, return or transfer their eBooks to their device. Please use our Overdrive help page to find out more. Click on your device from the list or click on Overdrive help and type it in the search box to see specific instructions for your device.
The library also has specific handouts for each device which can help you.
Looking for the Classics?
If you are looking for classic literature like "The Three Musketeers", "Dracula", or "Tom Sawyer" be sure to check the public domain collection on Project Gutenberg. These books are free of copy protection and do NOT count against your checkout limit. There are over 30,000 books in the collection! Download as many as you like and enjoy!
Here are more books included in this collection: